Health Benefits of LONGAN
Longan is widely distributed in Southeast Asia, such as China Taiwan Vietnam and Thailand. Itís fruit is accepted by consumers over the world of its sweet and juicy sensation in the mouth and health benefits . Longan was used as a traditional Chinese medicine for different treatment ,such as promoting blood metabolism, soothing nerves, and relieving insomnia.
Longan contains polyphenolic compounds which exhibit several pharmacological properties . Ellagic acid , gallic acid, (an ellagitannin) are mainly responsible to serve as a natural antioxidant and inflammatory inhibitor.
Inflammation has been recognized as a reaction of tissue
to injury or infection that is shown by pain, redness, and swelling . There are studies show the correlate of chronic inflammation to the arthritis in animal, human osteoarthritis
and rheumatoid arthritis, and other chronic disease such as
Diabetis, heart disease, and cancer etc.
Consuming Longan extract for some period of time result as a good natural remedy for chronic knee pain, which is better than using other pain relieve medicine that only temporary relieve the pain and might cause long term side effect to liver.
The Longan pericarp also contain Oligosaccharides which is polysaccharide sugar form that can increase the number of normal flora such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli in digestive system,
1. Reduce pathogen bacteria : Bifidobacteria will produce antiseptic enzyme to inhibit the growth of Clostridium perfringens, Salmonella spp. and E. coli in digestive system.
2. Improve digestive system : Bifidobacteria will help increase the colon movement by adding moisture.
3. Reduce blood cholesterol : By Lactobacillus acidophilus and inhibit cholesterol absorption through the colon wall.
4. Reduce high blood pressure : Study shows that blood pressure is correlate with Bifidobacteria in digestive track.
5. Increase vitamins : Bifidobacteria can produce vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, nicotinic acid , folic acid and increase the Calcium absorption in digestive system.
6. Reduce toxic material and enzyme : By reducing pathogen bacteria metabolism, help improving the liver function.
Hideo Tomomatsu. Health Effects of ligosaccharides. Food
48(10):61-65 2. Judith E. Spiegel, et. al. Safety and
Benefits of Fructooligosaccharides as Food Ingredients.
Food Technology. 1994;
48(1): 85-89 3. Guan-Jhong Huang,et.al. Anti-oxidant and Anti-inflammatory
Properties of Longan Pericarp,China Medical University,Taiwan. 4. Rangkadilok
N, et.al. In vitro anti fungal activity of Longan seed extract. Chulabhorn
Research Inst. Thailand 5. Guo YJ, et.al. Effect of Corilagin on anti
inflammation in HSV-1 encephalitis. Department of Neurology ,PR China
Back to Promotion